Moving long distances is a big task that requires careful planning and execution. We all know the stress of a local move, so when you factor in long distance moving, the feeling of dread can be compounded. Hiring professionals to assist you on your long distance moving endeavor will help you move seamlessly into your new humble abode.
What is Long Distance Moving?
Local moves cost a lot less than long distance moves, purely because of the distance.
Are you unsure if you’re moving locally or long distance?
Long distance moving is considered to be any distance of 100 miles or more, across state lines. Moreover, long distance moves are often referred to as interstate moves.
How Do You Move Long Distances?
There are a few things you should do to prepare yourself for a cross-country move. Follow this checklist as a guide before you start your long distance moving endeavor.
- Firstly, you should create an inventory list to keep track of your valuables.
- Be sure to pack your mattress inside of a box.
- Refrain from packing any kind of liquid or food as they are prohibited for transportation by the company.
- Make sure to label each box with your name visible.
- Inspect your outdoor furniture for insects and other infestations.
- Be sure to pack your belongings safely and securely to survive the rigors of a long haul.
- Make certain that your move-in situation is completely squared away before embarking on your journey.
After you’ve developed a plan you may be wondering to yourself, What about a moving budget?
What’s Included in Moving Costs?
Common moving expenses include but are not limited to the following:
- Storage and transportation costs (movers, hauling, packing, unpacking, insurance and in-transit storage)
- Additional travel expenses that you should be aware of such as meals for you and the family as well as money for gas or any other expenses for your car.
What Should I Sell Before I Move?
Before you move you may want to consider selling this that you don’t need so as to reduce your moving costs prior to your moving date. Getting your of these things will not only reduce your rate, but it’ll also help you earn some extra cash before you relocate.
- Kitchens items
- Old electronics
- Movies and Books
Additional Considerations to Factor in Before You Move
What month is the cheapest to move?
The cheapest month to move in will be the month of January. Consequently, it also happens to be the coldest month. Since most leases begin at the beginning of the month, it may be quite difficult to find a lease which starts in the middle of the month. However, do try to find a mid- month lease because this will be the time where you find the best prices.
Do you tip interstate movers?
In the event that you are making a long distance nice and you ask for additional services such as packing and unpacking during the move, it is customary to tip the movers after the job has been completed. Moreover, should a problem arise while moving that very same person should be the person that you work with to resolve the problem.
How long before you move should you start packing?
You should begin packing 3 to 4 weeks prior to your move date. The moving preparations in general (cleaning, selling things, etc.) should begin 6-8 weeks before the move.
Will movers assemble and disassemble furniture?
Movers will assemble and disassemble basic furniture for free. However, your more complicated furniture will require an additional charge. The most common furniture pieces that are at no extra cost to be disassembled are dressers with mirror attachments, bed frames and dining room tables.
Do moving companies offer storage?
Generally speaking, short term and long term storage are offered by professional movers. Most companies will store your belongings for up to 30 days for free—this is usually referred to as storage in-transit by the company.
*It is wise to consult with your mover about how long the move will take, especially if you’re relocating cross-country or over 1,000 miles. Such deliveries could take two weeks, in which case you will need storage.
What services do professional moving companies provide?
*A full-service moving company’s basic package usually includes:
- Break-down and reassembly of basic furniture.
- All equipment such as a dolly or rollers (Moving blankets, pads and straps)
- Parking permits
- Basic valuation coverage—this is not insurance
- Loading and unloading all of your items
- Moving companies cover their own fuel, taxes and tolls
*The following services typically cost extra:
- Long-term and short-term storage (This service can be offered for free sometimes)
- Packing materials such as paper wrap and boxes
- Full packing of your boxes and loose items
- The break-down and reassembly of complex furniture.
- Full unpacking of your boxes and loose items
- Packing of your fragile items
If you are looking for a good long distance moving company in the San Diego area, GPS Moving would be happy to meet with you to set up a consultation. We are a family-owned business that takes great pride in quality services and customer satisfaction.